Why Use Powder Metallurgy?
Efficient and consistent, powder metallurgy (PM) is a value-added engineering process that provides a host of advantages over competing metal-forming technologies.
The benefits of powder metallurgy add up to:
- part-to-part uniformity for improved product quality
- shape and material flexibility
- application versatility
Advantages of the Powder Metallurgy Process
Why Pick PM? Because it:
- is a high-value net-forming solution, optimizing performance in many critical applications.
- is a demonstrated process of supporting speed-to-market.
- facilitates manufacture of complex geometries which would be impractical or impossible with other metalworking processes.
- eliminates or minimizes machining by producing parts at, or close to, final dimensions for the most exacting tolerance requirements.
- enables part-to-part consistency with excellent surface finish as formed, which can be enhanced through state-of-the-art finishing operations.
- materials and processes can be tailored to support the most demanding applications.
- is a highly flexible and robust solution to support moderate- to high-volume component production requirements.
- minimizes scrap losses by typically using more than 97% of the starting raw material in the finished part.
- provides controlled porosity for self-lubrication or filtration.
- is a cost-effective metal-forming solution.
Powder Metallurgy: A Recognized Green Technology
If you are a manufacturer with metal components to produce, learn how your company’s sustainability targets can be met by making powder metallurgy a critical part of your fabrication process.