Why Use Powder Metallurgy?
Efficient and consistent, powder metallurgy (PM) is a value-added engineering process that provides a host of advantages over competing metal-forming technologies.
Powder metallurgy advantages add up to:
- part-to-part uniformity for improved product quality
- shape and material flexibility
- application versatility
The Value of Powder Metallurgy
The automotive industry is the dominant market sector for powder metallurgy components. As lightweighting becomes more important to automotive manufacturers, the ability to customize materials becomes even more advantageous.
Learn more about the value of powder metallurgy in the automotive market.
The Precision of Powder Metallurgy
Medical implants are on the rise, and powder metallurgy is playing a large role in improving quality of life through its ability to meet or exceed customer expectations.
Review medical industry component case studies to learn how and why PM has earned its reputation as a precise and reliable metal-forming technology.
Advantages of the Powder Metallurgy Process
Why Pick PM? Because it:
- is a high-value net-forming solution, optimizing performance in many critical applications.
- is a demonstrated process of supporting speed-to-market.
- facilitates manufacture of complex geometries which would be impractical or impossible with other metalworking processes.
- eliminates or minimizes machining by producing parts at, or close to, final dimensions for the most exacting tolerance requirements.
- enables part-to-part consistency with excellent surface finish as formed, which can be enhanced through state-of-the-art finishing operations.
- materials and consolidation processes can be tailored to support the most demanding applications.
- is a highly flexible and robust solution to support moderate- to high-volume component production requirements.
- minimizes scrap losses by typically using more than 97% of the starting raw material in the finished part.
- provides controlled porosity for self-lubrication or filtration.
- is a cost-effective metal-forming solution.
Powder Metallurgy: A Recognized Green Technology
If you are a manufacturer with metal components to produce, learn how your company’s sustainability targets can be met by making powder metallurgy a critical part of your fabrication process.
The net-shape capability of powder metallurgy is the primary advantage in the process, but there is also no waste in the shaping of parts.
Learn how powder metallurgy is a sustainable metal-forming manufacturing method by reviewing the resources below.
Powder metallurgy is a sustainable technology. Fabricators of PM components find themselves ideally positioned within the Sustainability Continuum—the unbroken series of links connecting every part of the production “food chain,” beginning with the most vital link: the consumer. The metal-forming technology PM fabricators boast of is a more sustainable process than competing forming technologies on several levels. But beyond a sustainable fabrication process, what PM companies can offer their customers are the means to make THEIR processes and THEIR end products more sustainable.