Strengthening Agriculture with Powder Metallurgy
Billions of dollars are spent in the United States every year on agricultural machinery, and powder metallurgy provides an integral aspect through durable components that often cannot be made economically through other metal-forming processes.
Review the agricultural case studies below to learn how PM maintains its high performance under adverse conditions and demanding applications.
Download Strengthening Agriculture with Powder Metallurgy for print use. (pdf)
Reliability: All-Terrain Vehicle Shifting Mechanism
This component rotates on two sets of journals, actuating a shifting mechanism inside of a transmission.
- Excellent fatigue properties
- No machining required, hardened component
- 40% cost savings over alternative manufacturing technologies
- Combination of properties and features makes PM the only viable option for this part
Robustness: Diesel Fuel Injection Line
This leak-off union is assembled into mini-excavators and compact-wheeled loaders.
- Replaced plastic line and eliminated warranty issues
- Tube straightness and pitch are critical
- Precipitation hardening 17-4 PH stainless steel
- Cannot be economically made using alternative manufacturing technologies